Thursday, September 19, 2019

"Until you do right by me, I say, everything you even dream about will fail. I give it to him straight, just like it come to me. And it seem to come from the trees."

This scene, without a doubt, is the most jaw-dropping scene in the entire book. At so many points, It feels like Celie will never stand up for herself. She endures abuse after abuse from every man in her life, and at times it got hard to read. When she finally realizes her self worth and leaves her terrible, good for nothing husband I re-read the scene at least twice. It was one of those moments in literature where iI wasn't reading a book, I was a fly on the wall. It felt like I witnessed her strength first hand. Celie is one of the most remarkable and genuine narrators I've read. She is fallible and flawed. Whether it is her lack of education, her reluctance to feel valued, or her acceptance of a life without love, her vulnerability made her feel so real.

No comments:

Post a Comment