Thursday, August 22, 2019

"There are many gods,' Cico whispered, 'gods of beauty and magic, gods of the garden, gods in our own backyards-but we go off to foreign countries to find new ones, we reach to the stars to find new ones-" (p. 237).

I am well aware that in every other post I make, I reference “The Color Purple”, but it is hard to disregard the similarities between the two books. That being said, I won't condemn anyone to listen to me ramble on about the parallels between Celie and Tony. In fact, I want to steer away from connecting one piece of literature with another. Instead, I am going to try my hand at anecdote. 
Although as stated in past entries, I have never questioned my lack of faith, my father’s relationship with God has been a bit of a rollercoaster. Similarly to Antonio, my father was raised with a devout catholic mother. He practiced religion all throughout his childhood, but as life got hard, he stopped believing. When he was getting sober, part of his time in AA was dedicated to reading aloud from “The Big Book of Alcoholics Annonymous”, which contains many elements of the Bible and Christianity.
One day he refused to read aloud because his page referred to God, and he wouldn’t say his name. His sponsor then gave my dad a piece of advice that shaped his future spirituality.
He simply said, “Any time you see the word God, add an 'o', replace it with Good”
Somehow, the meaning of the text didn't change. When one thinks of God just as a word that holds everything good in this world, belief has very little to do with the whole God thing. 

This ideology correlates with several portions of “Bless me, Ultima”, this quote in particular. It lists several places in our world where we can all feel, see, and find God/good. Such as gardens, or the night sky, or even just beauty. More than that though, this quote calls a slightly philosophical thought to mind. As part of the human condition, we are never satisfied. We can be completely surrounded by good, and still, go searching for it. Maybe that is why some people never find God, we are always reaching for better, and never grasping the good.

No comments:

Post a Comment