Tuesday, August 27, 2019

"Sometime in the future I would have to build my own dream out of those things that were so much a part of my childhood" (p. 261)

Considering that this is the last Bless me ultima quote I will be analyzing, I wanted to close on a personal note and address the coming of age aspects of this book. As a teenager, I am approaching the finish line of childhood, and I was surprised how much this specific quote stirred my emotions. I suppose it calls to mind the pinnacle of my own coming of age journey.  
When I turned twelve, I moved away from the small town I grew up and came to Los Angeles. I knew nothing outside of snow and skiing, and I had spent my entire life with the same people every day. I had no idea how to navigate this daunting clamorous metropolis. Eventually, I realized that I am capable of all the curveballs life throws my way. The snow, skiing, and the isolation provided me with the tools to keep growing and dreaming. 

This quote encompasses the parallels in Tony’s journey. He manages to sort through the trials and tribulations of death and injustice, the arbitrary judgment and expectations from family, and the contradictions between religious and spiritual identity. He needed to construct a futre from the conflicting traits he inherits from the sea and the moon.
I suppose, at one point we all need to learn to adapt and flourish under any set of circumstances. I might be speaking with limited experience here, but I think that is a universal truth of growing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment